Group exercise is one of many ways the Y supports members in achieving their health and wellness goals. The YMCA Group Exercise Classes improve health, encourage social interaction and with motivating music and awesome instructors, are one of the most enjoyable ways to move and feel great. Highly trained staff and certified staff lead the classes and often tailor them to the specific needs of the participants.
Still cautious about joining a group exercise class? Here are 5 reasons to give it a try:
- All of the group exercise classes at the YMCA are taught by certified fitness instructors. The instructors will teach you to do the correct form and give modifications to increase or decrease the intensity based on where you are in your fitness journey.
- Teamwork and camaraderie are the top reasons why people prefer group exercise over individual workouts. When a group ex instructor is up front, asking for one more rep or to push just a little harder, there is a sense of “we’re all in this together” as you all get through a workout.
- Beginners will feel supported by having someone encouraging them and having classmates as inspiration who were also a beginner at some point.
- With a group exercise class, there are set dates and times for each class, so missing one feels like a much bigger deal than skipping your individual workout.
- Once you’re regularly attending a class, the instructor and your peers also help to hold you accountable. You’re much less likely to skip your workout if all of your friends are going to text and call wondering where you were.
Sense of Community
- Everyone in class is working towards the same goal and going through the same workout. You’re all in this together.
- Group Ex Class is a great place to meet people with similar fitness goals and create bonds with new workout buddies. Between the fun music, a great workout and a group of people motivating each other, it can be an enjoyable way to exercise and make new friends.
Variety and Structure
- All Group Ex Classes are included in your membership. Including a variety of classes in your weekly workout regimen is a great way to keep you from getting bored and losing interest in exercising.
- Group exercise classes also take the guesswork out of working out by providing a structured class with a warm-up, a balanced workout and a cool down. All you have to do is show up and get fit!