The Y believes that children deserve every possible opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive. In partnership with the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services and the Michigan YMCA State Alliance, the YMCA of Saginaw is proud to offer FREE healthy meals for every child 18 and under through our Mission Nutrition and Healthy Out of School Time (HOST) programs.
The meals we serve every school day and everyday throughout the summer help more children get the nutrition they need for good health. With the funds raised through our Annual Campaign, the Y is able to continue its dedication to youth development.
Currently, we serve dinner with the after-school program at Boys & Girls Clubs – KidsCampUs site, and snacks at 3 schools for the Girls on the Run program.
Meals Served in 2018
- 15,774 Lunches & Suppers
- 8,543 Snacks (new in 2018)
Did You know?
- 1 in 6 children may not know where they are getting their next meal.
- Saginaw County has a 14.7% food insecurity rate. The state of Michigan has a 15.1% food insecurity rate.
- 84% of households report buying the cheapest food rather than healthy food
in order to provide enough to eat.
- 20% of children in households at risk of hunger may be forced to rely exclusively on charitable organizations to make ends meet.
We’re always looking for volunteers to help further our cause. Apply for one of our many volunteer opportunities such as our Mission Nutrition program.
Become a Mission Nutrition Program Site
Want to serve nutritional meals prepped and delivered from the YMCA to your location? Complete the YMCA Food Program site application.
Contact: Director – Healthy Living