In collaboration with, and reporting to, the Director of Youth Development, the Camp Y Kids Coordinator will be responsible for all camp activities. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Plan, supervise, and implement 24 summer camp programs in accordance with goals and policies of the YMCA
- Plan, develop, and implement camp activities that incorporate the five practice areas of character development
- Supervise, schedule, and mentor summer camp counselors and volunteers
- Complete End-of-Summer program evaluations
- Responsible for the safety of all children, at all times, including emergency procedures, and being able to implement these procedures in the event of an emergency
- Monitor the quality, quantity, appearance, maintenance, and storage of all supplies and equipment needed for programming.
- Establish and maintain a positive relationship with all staff, peers, YMCA members, program participants, and the general public
- Attend all staff meetings, weekly meeting with Director of Youth Development, and other activities, (open houses, family nights, etc.)
- Supply counselors with needed supplies, delegate tasks to staff, volunteers, etc.
- Aid and assist the counselors/volunteers in program delivery and professional development
- Adhere to all regulations in accordance to state laws and requirements
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date health/emergency information on each camper
- Understand, have training in Social-Emotional Learning and/or Trauma-Informed tools
- React kindly, firmly, and in a positive manner when redirecting unwanted child behaviors
- Challenging the child’s social, emotional, physical, spiritual, and cognitive development
- The ability to LAUGH, HAVE FUN, and CREATE A SAFE, ENGAGING ENVIRONMENT FOR ALL!!
- Minimum of an Associate degree with 5 years’ experience working with school-aged youth OR Bachelor degree with 2-3 years’ experience working with school-aged youth (experience in summer camps and/or OST environment is a big PLUS)
- Ability to exercise effective judgment and resourcefulness in setting priorities.
- Working knowledge of 5 practice areas of Character Development Learning, Social-Emotional Learning, and/or Trauma-Informed tools is highly desired
- Personal values consistent with the YMCA mission and core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. Understanding of and personal commitment to the YMCA’s mission.
- Strong ability to create positive, fun, and safe activities and environment for youth is a must
- Strong working knowledge of computers and all common programs such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Ability to effectively delegate responsibilities to others and support them in their endeavors as necessary.
- CPR/ First Aid Certification.
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to improving lives. Cultivates relationships to support fundraising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgements, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work, and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high- value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assess personal feelings, strengths, and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.