Support – Community Partners
The YMCA of Saginaw knows the importance of community. As a cause driven non profit organization the Y stays focused on the health of individuals and the community as a whole.
Did you know the YMCA began as a volunteer organization? The YMCA is a charitable service-focused organization that was started by a bunch of cool British people who wanted to make their community a better place.
Now you have an opportunity to make your community brighter through volunteering your time to help your neighbors smile. There are a plethora of volunteer opportunities at the Saginaw YMCA, like: coaching youth sports, demonstrating the YMCAs impact through cause-driven tours, being a role model in our youth development programs or joining one of these monthly volunteer opportunities….
For March 2017 — Covenant Kids Foundation
BOYS: nothing large
- Hot Wheels, Super Hero Action Figures and themed toys
- Coloring books – themed for boys
- Note pads, medium or small: They take notes or journal in.
- Pens – especially fun bright colors
- Coloring Books – adult or teen type
- Comic Books
- Board Games, Brain Teasers, Crosswords, Puzzles
- Infant Board Books
- Golden Books
- Simple Puzzles
- Stuffed Animals
- Hard Covered Infant Books
- Travel Size Personal Items: shampoo, body wash, combs, brushes, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant and such items for parents when they stay at the hospital in the sleep rooms.
- Food Cards for places near the hospital: ie. Subway, McDonald’s, Burger King or other places nearby for when our parents stay unexpectedly
- Photo Paper: The hospital purchases their own photo paper for their printer when they take photos of parents or siblings
- Ink Pens and Journals
- Art supplies: Glue, crayons, markers, coloring books, foam shapes, construction paper and so on.
- Infant type toys that babies can hold on to, chew on, etc. These are usually sent home with that child.
- Simple puzzles
For February 2017 – The Mustard Seed Shelter
Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 10am
1325 Cherry St., Saginaw, MI 48601
Founded in 1995, is a homeless shelter for single women and women with children.
There will be several opportunities including some transporting of items donated to an off-site location. There will be opportunity to interact with guests and if anyone wants to do a kids activity, they would be welcome to do so (baking cookies, a craft project, etc)
Sign up on the board near the locker rooms, or by emailing DTemple@SaginawYMCA.org
Doug Temple, Membership and Marketing Director
ARMED SERVICES VETERANS
Here are the details:
The YMCA of Saginaw to promote and enhance the health and well-being of Veterans and their families.
The program will be molded from collaborative groups in the community and focus on improving the lives of Veterans and their families. Several areas of the program will be directly led by Veteran members of the YMCA of Saginaw. The Veterans Health Program will include:
YMCA of Saginaw led programs
- Veterans FREE Learn and Leisure
2nd Tuesday each month at 5pm – Please RSVP for food counts. Family welcome.
- Includes a snack or light meal and guest speakers who will address a wide array of diverse topics that affect Veterans and their families.
- Open access to the YMCA according to pool and gym schedules.
- Bring military / photo ID and complete a guest form.
- 4th Tuesday of each month
- Bring military / photo ID and complete a guest form.Open access to the YMCA according to pool and gym schedules.
- YMCA Camp Timbers family weekends – pre-register.
- Fair Share rates available for income-based membership and programs.
- Veteran led new member orientations, support groups, and Veteran membership perks:
The goal of this program is to find innovative ways to support commitment to care for those who “have borne the battle” and their families. Strengthening collaborations within communities and with community-based organizations helps to achieve the overall goal of improving the lives of Veterans, service members, their families, caregivers, and survivors.